> 1. What does "rc" stand for, as opposed to "conf"?

Originally it is derived from Multics 'runcom' files, which (I guess)
were similar to batch files / scripts. Nowadays, it's just a resource/
configuration file, kinda similar in concept to an .INI in Windows.

> 2. I read that /etc is for "miscellaneous files"...isn't it *only* for
> configuration files?

I haven't checked the LFS (Linux File Standards) on this, but it would
seem that /etc is only for configuration files of a global nature. In
earlier usage, /etc was more a hodgepodge, a place to store something that
was for global use, but was inappropriate to place elsewhere. That's why
we still have things like /etc/issue, /etc/MOTD, and the like. (Even
'mount' and other admin tools used to live in /etc at one point.)

> 3. Global user settings are stored in /etc, while personal ones are
> stored as
> /home/username/.somethingrc, right?

Mostly. At least that's the way it's supposed to work. More complicated
things are stored in a hidden directory off of the user's home directory,
rather than in a single hidden file.