On Saturday 01 September 2001 01:07, you wrote:
> Dennis Myers wrote:
> > actually I don't think kudzu will find an external cause it won't need
> > drivers or any thing like that. I would go to the KPPP setup and
> > choose the ttyS0 or ttyS1 and put in you ISP server ip addresses etc
> > and then see if it won't connect. .  That's how I got my external
> > running.  You can test it before you are out of setup.  HTH
> >
> > --
> > Dennis M. registered linux user # 180842
>
> Hi Dennis, thanks for the reply. Well, it does find the external
> Practical Peripherals modem (albeit it calls it a "generic serial
> modem") and will remove or add it as I hook it up. It won't find the
> Creative modem though. I did choose the option to keep the current
> generic serial modem setup, and I can connect. Its odd though.
>
> My old internal Diamond Supra 56k ISA modem showed connects of 57600.
>
> The external 28.8 Practical Peripherals showed connects of 26400.
>
> The external 56k Creative is showing 26400 as well... ;-(
Are you using KPPP?  If so go into the setup and check on modem where it
sets the speed. You should be able to set it for 56k or 112k and then your
connection speed should jump up.  By the way, I don't know if you know it
but the speed shown is 56,000 bits but what is actual transfer is more
like 4.5 kbytes per second.  This means that  8bits equal a byte and there
is a start bit and a end bit on each byte so divide 56 by 10 and you get
5.6bytes, but FCC only allows up to 5.3 B/s transfer so that is the best
you can expect.  I never get it mostly I get around 4.5.  Sorry if I am
telling you what you already know, but it fascinates me how numbers get
thrown around and they aren't what they appear.  Let me know if you have
any problem setting the modem speed.  And anyone who sees my math above as
messed up, please jump in here and put it straight. I hate it when I get
stuff like that wrong.  :  )
--
Dennis M. registered linux user # 180842