On Sun, Sep 02, 2001 at 11:55:52AM -0400, A V Flinsch wrote:
> On Sunday 02 September 2001 10:50 am, Dave Sherman wrote:
>

> > > Anyways I can start icewm as my window manager in gnome, but would
> > > rather start up with it in place of gnome. I can't remember which
> > > xconfig file to edit and what to edit it with to acheive this.
> > >
> > > Suggestions/help?
> >
> > Steve,
> >
> > Create a .xinitrc file in your home directory, and in that file have a
> > single line of text:
> >     exec some_window_manager
>
> Even easier --
> startx window_manager_you_want_to_start

Really didn't know about adding the additional syntax after startx. So
even with the `set $DISPLAY' message this will work?

I haven't had a chance to try the previous suggestion yet, as I forgot
I'm in the middle of a large download which I don't wish to interrupt at
this point in time.

> and
>
> /usr/sbin/chksession -l
>
> will give you a list of window managers that will work with the above

Cool thanks. Just checked that out, this is what it gives me: Gnome
Enlightenment BlackBox Sawfish. Now I have icewm installed -  for some
reason it hasn't shown up. But I can lauch it from within gnome as the
preferred window manager to sawfish.

I guess maybe this means your method won't work and perhaps Dave's will
not either? Please note that previously when in the console @ runlevel
3, whenever I attempt to start icewm I get the `set $DISPLAY' message.
This applies for blackbox as well, which is in the chksession list.

--
Steve - Toronto ICQ 35454764