For reasons I will not go into Windoze trashed my hard disc and forced me to
re install Mandrake 8.0

Network browsing using LISa had previously been working, but after the
reinstall I could not get it to work despite having succeeded previously.

Checking the newbie archive I saw that many other newbies had had similar
troubles and had not had a satisfactory reply. So when I found the answer I
thought it worth posting it on the mailing list.

Not only does LISa require a configuration file, lisarc to be stored
somewhere where LISA can find it on startup, as has been reported several
times in the archives, but there is a second common problem which is that
even when the Lisa configuration has been defined in Control
Center/Networking it is still only possible to use konquerer to browse the
network when logged in under root.

Many newbies found like myself that when logged in under a normal user any
attempt to browse using konquerer would give a message "Networking has not
been set up. Go to control Center/Networking and set up the parameters you
see there"

However these parameters can only be set up under root, and root already has
no problem browsing the network.
The solution I found in the kde e-mail archives here :-
http://www.kde.com/maillists/show.php?q=control%20center%20LISa&f=1&l=20&sb=rank&o=d&v=search&mq=42184&m=392640

To fix the problem all you have to do is let knoqueror know that you have
already set up the LISa config by placing a file called kio_lanrc in the
.kde/share/config directory of each user.

The contents of kio_lanrc should be :-
AlreadyConfigured=true
Support_FTP=0
Support_HTTP=0
Support_NFS=0
Support_SMB=0

Then it all works.

Hope this helps some other poor soul who has been beating their head against
the desk  :)