I use a free mail service called MyRealBox which is used as a beta
site/demonstration site for Novell's NIMS (Novell Internet Mail Service)
product. I have been using it with Evolution (via IMAP, it also supports
SNMP) for quite some time. It can be reached at www.myrealbox.com.

The web interface can be a little buggy at times (due to the fact that
most of the time it is stress-testing beta code. They recently did a
major upgrade which caused a few outages but it's been pretty reliable
lately) but overall it works pretty good (I've never lost messages, but
occasionally I have trouble connecting via the web interface. But then
again, Hotmail is known for being down for days at a time!). And best of
all it doesn't require a (explative deleted) HotMail account!