Alex, thank you very much for your help.  In fact, I was not sitting in the correct directory as you politely pointed out in your note.

One point of confusion that I've had is how to reconcile differences between distributions with regard to where pieces of the system are located.  I've have the O'Reilly Running Linux book which says that the subdirectory for 'make' is something different; there are a lot of these distribution differences that really get in the way of efficient learning.  I've scouted the on-line Mandrake documentation for a similar information about 'make', but, if it is there, clearly I missed it and I apologize in advance for doing so.

While I suppose the economics aren't yet with Mandrake, talking one of the computer publishing houses into doing a Mandrake-Linux book [having an author would be good too :-)] which points to these distribution differences would be a really big help.

I really like the Mandrake product and approach to customers.  I hope that the company has a business plan that makes a profit for the investors and keeps the company viable.

Bill