On Thu, 6 Sep 2001 09:54, Jose M. Sanchez wrote:
> That one is right up there with memorable sayings from CEO's...
>
> Another of my favorites was DEC's CEO saying that no one would ever have
> or tolerate a computer at home.

"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home." -- Ken
Olson, President, Chairman and Founder of Digital Equipment Corp., 1977

And, of course, this famous quote:

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers" -- Thomas J.
Watson, Chaiman of IBM, 1943.

And a few more:

"I believe OS/2 is destined to be the most important operating system, and
possibly program, of all time. As the successor to DOS, which has over
10,000,000 systems in use, it creates incredible opportunities for everyone
involved with PCs." -- Bill Gates (from the Foreword to the OS/2 Programmers'
Guide)

"Anyone who says you can have a lot of widely dispersed people hack away on a
complicated piece of code and avoid total anarchy has never managed a
software project." -- Andrew S. Tanenbaum, 1992, writing to Linus Torvalds.

> Or at SIG-GRAPH, one of the VP's from Evans and Sutherland saying that
> PC's would never have enough graphics horsepower to do anything in real
> time...

If you read the recent press release from nVidia, you will see that they can
render "Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within" (the movie) in "real-time".
Examine the release closer and you will see that it is rendering at a
whopping two-and-a-half frames per second! "Real-time" indeed...

But seriously, this is still a magnificient feat -- but it was overhyped.
Some months ago, I saw a video of Steve Jobs presenting the then-new nVidia
GeForce 3 on Mac hardware. He showed a short animated 3D movie that his
company, Pixar, made back in 1985. He said that back then it took a Cray
supercomputer 75 hours to render a single second of animation. He then
exclaimed that what the audience was viewing on the large screeen at the
front of the auditorium was being rendered in _real-time_ by a GeForce 3 in a
Mac. Simply amazing.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan.
                -- Jeremy S. Anderson