On Thursday 06 September 2001 01:01 pm, Mark Johnson escribió:
> I'm not sure I truly understand the advantages of all these different
> flavors of linux.  I understand that Debian is the super secure, and
> Mandrake is the super friendly, and Redhat is enterprise oriented.

   Any Linux distro is only as secure as the USER makes and maintains
it. Deb's claim to fame isn't security, it's being a step or two down
from the latest to provide stability (or so they claim). Mandrake is
the cutting edge of security as far as most leading distros go. YMMV

> But what I find is that flavors mean non-standard directories and
> other nuances.

  Read up:  http://www.linuxbase.org/    I think you'll find Mandrake
as a partner in this endeavor

>  The only "linux" part of a flavor is the kernel. This
> is actually pretty annoying because one can never truely say "I know
> linux" in a deep sense; all one really knows is one's particular
> flavor of linux.

   Not so.

 My impression is that if you switched flavors on
> somebody they would be nearly as lost as they would be if you
> switched their PC for a MAC even though it's still "linux".  Is this
> flavor thing good for linux in a long term sense?

  I don't know how you came to this conclusion.  My take is you can
switch Linux distros with little notice. Ask a IT manager about
switching Windoze versions.

> This goes for window managers too: if the Window Manager is the
> gateway to the system switching WMs on somebody is pretty close to
> switching the OS on them.

   For the average USER, I'd agree

> One of the main reasons that I bring this up is if you were to choose
> to deploy linux desktops for your company, you should probably think
> long an hard about the flavor and the WM that you are going to
> standardize on because if you let people run different WMs willy
> nilly (much less flavors) it would be a adminstrative nightmare.

   You state the obvious, any OS

> You can't really count (never will be able to count) on any baseline
> functionality of access points amongs WMs can you...?

   See LSB link above

--
        Tom Brinkman                       Galveston Bay