I'll tell you that I am planning on going 'school-wide' with Linux.  But it's a
gradual process.  and we're a small organization.  In our school, we have one
computer lab with  20 machines and about 3-4 machines in every classroom. The
lab is completely linux now, with all but two of t eh machines bootable to
Windows.   With the kids, when they hit 7th grade, they're mine and I teach them
linux right away.  They love it.  The teachers are different.  Even though I
taught them how to boot into linux or windows in the pre-school inservice, most
of them can't get tha figured out.  then, when it comes to having them find a
word processing document or even surf the internet, they have problems.  Still,
as we get new machines, these linux machines are going to be forced into the
classrooms and they are going to have to learn how to use them.  Eventually they
will.  They learned windows when I pushed out the macs.  It wasn't much
different.

As far as teh different window managers and versions of linux, they are not that
different.  Last year, we used redhat on a couple of machines.  This year, the
kids that did that new exactly how to use mandrake.  Some of the kids use gnome,
some use kde, some use blackbox.  They seem to take that transition easily.

Then again, my business is teaching.  I have all year to do that.
jim