I just tried to upgrade to Mandrake 8.1 beta (but I had the same problem

with 8.0) to fix some problems I was having with x windows.

After having installed Mandrake successfully, I needed to add a network
card to my setup, a 3com 905 series card.  It was working fine under
Mandrake 7.0.

What happens is this, I turn the box on, it boots up, does the Harddrake

probe, then goes into the detected new hardware.  I hit enter to
configure the device, it tells me it is about to, then the screen goes
blank and nothing happens.  I can reboot the computer with ctl-alt-del
and that's about it.

I don't have any trouble running X from the command line, if I skip the
detecting new hardware stage.

Any advice?

Ryan Steffes