On Friday 07 September 2001 17:27, ryan_steffes wrote:
> I just tried to upgrade to Mandrake 8.1 beta (but I had the same problem
>
> with 8.0) to fix some problems I was having with x windows.
>
> After having installed Mandrake successfully, I needed to add a network
> card to my setup, a 3com 905 series card.  It was working fine under
> Mandrake 7.0.
>
> What happens is this, I turn the box on, it boots up, does the Harddrake
>
> probe, then goes into the detected new hardware.  I hit enter to
> configure the device, it tells me it is about to, then the screen goes
> blank and nothing happens.  I can reboot the computer with ctl-alt-del
> and that's about it.
>
> I don't have any trouble running X from the command line, if I skip the
> detecting new hardware stage.
>
> Any advice?
>
> Ryan Steffes

It is pretty obvious that you have a conflict in IRQ between your graphics
card and your video.  Windows assigns them different interrupts through
Plug'NPray, but linux does not, depending instead on the BIOS and on the PCI
2.0 specification that says devices can share interrupts (not all devices
comply though the 3C905 models do).  The easiest solution is to move the
network card to a different slot in your box or to play with the assignment
of IRQs to PCI slot numbers in the BIOS setup.  If the network card is next
to the video card, there is your problem.

Civileme