Thanks for all the information and pointers, and my
apologies to all for all the verbal handwringing.

I have just one specific question.  Since these
directories *are* standardized (although moved around
a bit from one distr to the next, I think) does that
mean that when I install a software package that all
of the files will automatically go to their correct
directories, and that I don't need to worry about
this? I was under the impression that that was true
(and a big advantage) of RPM packages, which would
imply that it isn't true for others. Do I need to
worry about this?

--- "Michael D. Viron" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> [...]
> (.gif, .jpg, .png), audio files (.mp3 or possibly
> .ogg), or archives
> (.tar.gz, .tgz, .bz2, or .zip)
>
> Second, I
> >don't know what kinds of files belong in etc say,
> or
> >bin, or whichever. If it's an executable, should be
> be
> >in home/bin, user bin, home/peter, ...?
>
> /etc is typically used for system initialization
> scripts (/etc/rc.d/*),
> configuration files (.*rc and *.conf, and sometimes
> conf.*), and home
> directory skeletons for the useradd command
> (/etc/skel/*).
>
> Executables are placed into many directories, which
> include /bin, /sbin,
> /usr/bin, /usr/sbin, /usr/local/bin,
> /usr/local/sbin, /opt, and sometimes
> under /usr/X11/bin and /home/$user/bin.
>
> /usr/local is the suggested place for software that
> you've compiled
> yourself from source .tar.gz or .tgz files, although
> some people also place
> this under /home/$user/bin .  /usr/X11 is usually
> used only for GUI based
> Xwindows programs (not always true, but usually),
> while the other bin
> directories (/bin,/usr/bin,/usr/sbin, and /sbin)
> usually contain command
> line oriented programs.
>
> Then you have /var which contains log files for
> various servers (/var/log)
> and spools stuff for various servers (such as
> incoming and outgoing e-mail
> and so forth -- /var/spool), and which sometimes
> contains the web server
> root directory (/var/www/)
>
> /tmp is a global temporary directory, /dev is a
> directory with a lot of
> device files (stuff you don't want to delete), /root
> is the super-user's
> home directory.
>

> And what is
> >Lib? I thought at first that this was a library
> >section for documents, but see that it seems to be
> for
> >certain kinds of executables (files that other
> files
> >need?)
>
> /usr/lib and any other lib directories contain
> library (.so) files which
> allow you to run other programs.  They are roughly
> equivalent to window
> .dll files.
>
> Docs are available for most everything -- they can
> be found under /usr/doc,
> or /usr/share/doc or you can visit the linuxdoc.org
> website which has all
> the HOWTo's, guides, and FAQs you could really ever
> want to read.  If you
> want reading beyond that, I'm sure there are a lot
> of people on list that
> can suggest a number of books to read.
>
> Michael
>
> --
> Michael Viron
> Registered Linux User #81978
> Senior Systems & Administration Consultant
> Web Spinners, University of West Florida

MandrakeSoft?