The file locations for applications can often be modified before compilation
(via the configure script). For packages like RPM and DEB, there is no need to
worry about where the files go. Just install the package and run the app.

Remember that you should be using Mandrake or compatible (e.g. Red Hat)
packages. Other packages will probably work, but then again they may not. YMMV.

The Filesystem Heirarchy Standard, part of the Linux Standard Base, seeks to
make file locations standard across distros.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan.
                -- Jeremy S. Anderson