From: Siavash Sefidvash [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 08 September 2001 02:00
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [newbie] Network Card compatibility

As I mentioned in my previous mail, I still have not managed to install
Mandrake 8 on my system. The installation gets to the point of asigning root
and user password. The problems arise at the NIC detection.

My card is 3COM ISA Ethernet 10 MB per sec ( not a combo ). I don't know
much else about the model.
It gives me a choice of the following.

3COM 3c90x ( Cyclone/Hurricane/Tornado )
 3COM 3c501
 3COM 3c503
 3COM 3c505
 3COM 3c507
 3COM 3c509
 3COM 3c515
 3COM 3c59x(Vortex)

I have tried all of the above and none of them seem to work. Sirdhar was
kind enough to suggest I should go into BIOS and set plug & play to "NO". I
cheked and it was already set up that way. Since I don't know the exact
driver name of the NIC I don't know how to check whether Mandrake 8 supports
it. People in the know tell me that Mandrake 8 is so well supported that if
I don't find the spacific drivers under its list, then LINUX does not
support it. This strange since my card is anything but cutting edge to be
supported. Unfortunately I cannot check the exact driver name in device
manager since Mandrake screwed up triple boot menu. I could not boot into
anything. Kept getting messages to the effect ..."This is not a bootable
device, insert a bootable floppy and try again".... Since I neglected to
create a Windows 2000 repair disk, there was nothing else I could think of
but to wipe everything and start again.

This is not my main machine ( just for practice ) so even though drastic, it
did't have huge loss implications.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Siavash