On Sun, 9 Sep 2001 09:20:19 -0400, Lanman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm hoping that someone on the list can help me out with 2 small problems.
> I'm in the process of trying to "Lock Down" KDE on Mandrake 8.0 . In other
> words, I'm trying to remove some functionality. If successful, users will
> only have the ability to click on designated icons on the desktop. So far,
> I've been able to get rid of the panel (taskbar), I've made the desktop
> "read-only", gotten rid of the "right-click" option on the desktop, and
> changed permissions on the remainig icons to read and execute only.
>
> My last few problems are as follows;
>
> 1) After removing the panel and right-click menu, I no longer have a simple
> way to "Log-Off" the users, short of using the CTRL-ALT-Backspace keystroke.
> I assume that since log-offs can be done by clicking a button on the panel,
> that there is a command that will work, but I have no idea what it is.  The
> "logout" command - when run from a console will not work, and it suggests
> that I use "exit", which only closes the console. What I need is a command
> that will start the log-off process by using an icon.
>
> 2) I need to eliminate the "right-click" option when the mouse-pointer is
> positioned over an icon.
>
> Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
>
> Lanman

Both GNOME and KDE have 'kiosk' modes, so-called because they are designed to be
used by anybody in an information kiosk. I don't know the specifics, but you may
want to do a search of "KDE kiosk" or "GNOME kiosk" at a site like Google
(http://www.google.com/linux).

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan.
                -- Jeremy S. Anderson