that's a good question, i use to think that if one upgraded 'kdebase' then
one was forced to upgrade things like 'kdelibs' as well, but just recently i
have found that (after defining my cooker source) i can upgrade one without
urpmi telling me that i need to upgrade everything else kde-ish.
i tend to see what kde packages i have installed e.g. kdebase, kdelibs,
kdeutils etc. and issue all of them on the urpmi command line and say yes to
whatever dependencies it says have to be satisfied, possibly the above
behaviour is because the newer versions of the mdk rpms are just newer distro
packaging of the otherwise same release of kde, i'm not sure.
as for using urpmi, 'urpmi --help' and 'man urpmi' are quite straightforward
- for a change! :-)