On Friday 14 September 2001 16:52, Joe Lareau wrote:
> Hi-
>
> I am trying to harden my Mandrake 8.0 box as much as possible. I would like
> your thoughts on what tools should be installed, and in what order.
>
> Specifically, I have heard I should install Bastille-Linux, ipchains, TCP
> wrappers....what else is there? Does it matter the order? Does there exist
> a security checklist for Mandrake on how to harden the machine? This
> machine will be a web server.
>

> Thanks,
> Joe
Hmmm well you are missing the obvious setting of security level to what you
want.

SECURE_LEVEL=5

Put that in /etc/profile and /etc/zprofile and soon you will likely want to
change back to HIGH.  That is called the Paranoid setting and it is very
secure, even from you.  Workarounds exist for you, but you better figure on
running things from chroot jails.  Better yet, wait just a little longer for
one with much improved security features and journaling filesystems.

Civileme