On Monday 10 September 2001 10:19 pm,  Ronald J. Hall wrote:
> s wrote:
> > What you need to do is ifdown eth0 first then dial up.   (and ifup eth0
> > to restart it)
> >
> > -s
>
> Hey there! I was wondering about that. I've been trying to get my 3
> computer systems setup with 2 windoze boxes and my Mandrake setup. I've
> configured a few things (with mucho help from etharp and others on this
> list). Anyways, I have to do the "ifconfig eth0 down" thingy to connect to
> my ISP as well. So, this is the normal/accepted way to do it?

Pretty much the only way to that I could find.  It took me a while to figure
it out.  I was trying to write scripts to change the gateway at dialup,
messing with the setting in kppp and linux conf before dialing and all of
that never worked.  just the simple ifdown eth0 was the answer (I felt so
silly).   :-)

> Now the hard question. How do I wind up actually getting to the Windoze
> machines? Its not like I can go into "network neighborhood" or anything
> like that! <grin>
>
> Etharp said to use samba. Have no experience with it. He also mentioned
> webmin, which I found. Very awesome looking setup! (more than I know what
> to do with. ;-)

Well, samba's pretty much the way to go if you want to file share with
windows machines.  Here's the site I used, it's alot simpler (easier to
understand) than some of the howto out there.
http://www.mandrakeuser.org/docs/connect/csamba.html
There is also a little app called LinuxNeighborhood (or linneighborhood) that
is pretty cute.  Search for it on sourceforge.net or google.  It's similar to
network neighborhood, but you have to have samba configured first.

-s