Yes, the server computer must be running whenever either computer wants to
connect to the internet. If it's not, the network cards don't work, and the
tcp/ip protocols on thserver aren't enabled, thereby eliminating the Internet
coneection. That's one of the big reasons that many people find an old 486 or
early generation Pentium pc and set it up as the Internet server or
Gateway/Router. The only way around this is as I suggested or to by an actual
router and configure it to do the same job as your windows box. One of the
nice features of using an old PC is that there are a large number of
linux-based gateway/routers that can also be used to act as a firewall, thus
protecting you from most types of hacks. You can also run a web-site on many
of them.

Lanman