On Tuesday 18 September 2001 16:21, Paul Rodríguez wrote:
> I'd like to create a simple SQL database and frontend for doctors to
> store patient information and automate callbacks, backups, and label
> printing.

I haven't tried any of the open source SQL databases but since you have no
experience with SQL, go get a nice book on basic Data Modelling.  Regardless
of which SQL server you use, this is something you must know if you actually
want to make a project that's worth a damn.

Learn now before you go and invent your own bad habits like I did!

> Where can I find the information I need to make my efforts as efficient
> as possible?

Good data modelling always leads to less coding and shorter
developement/debugging time-- ALWAYS!

Just about any introductory book on MySQL or what have you should include at
least a chapter on 'Data Modelling' and 'Normailization' rules.  If the book
your considering doesn't have at least that, it doesn't deserve your money.

Good Luck!

Richie