I hate to say it but I had the same problem and with the exception of
Chromium have never been able to play an GL based games or run any of the
mesa demos without a total lock-up.
I even corresponded directly with Nvidia for about two weeks trying
everything to get them to work and it was all for nothing.
My card is PCI perhaps that has something to do with it. Nvidia never said
yes, no or possibly with regards to the fact of the card being PCI.

  Good luck,

John