On Tuesday 18 September 2001 23:15, you wrote:
> Hi,

> NO professional in ANY publishing/graphics field would EVER use RGB
> when making films for pre-press/production.  RGB (Red Green Black) has
> major limits pertaining to decent reproduction of the colour
> spectrum.

rgb is red green blue. It has a larger color spectrum than cmyk actually. rgb
is used right up to the point the file is needed for press, then is
convereted to cmyk typically.

The thing is it's an additive color system (add red+green+blue and get
white). Where as cmy(k) is a subtractive color system (add
cyan+magenta+yellow to get black. Or conversly, start with black and remove
cyan, magenta and yellow and you end up with white). Inks are always
subtractive, which is why the cmyk system is used.

> Anyways, this is just to let you know, that CMYK is NOT just something
> that never is needed;  like I said before, it is the ONLY way to go when
> producing any works (that are to be taken seriously by professionals).

I use cmyk every day. Basically everything that's printed (from gorgeous art
books to the weekend coupon flyer in your newspaper) relies on cmyk and/or
other ink systems. rgb is reserved for things that will never leave a digital
medium, and some specialty photographic processes.

The gimp lacks support for anything subtractive as far as I can tell, which
is more than just cmyk. So until/if that happens, it can't compete with the
majority of the stranglehold that photoshop has. Adobe is the microsoft of
the design world, afterall :)

But don't get me wrong, I think the gimp is a great program.

Matt