This is not a gripe, just an observation, but it seems like for most people
(including me) their linux system is usually in a constant state of
broken-ness, or in some way always marginally handicapped.  Why is that?  I
realize that software is difficult to write just in general and operating
systems and things like desktops are even more difficult, but it appears
that there is a fundamental problem with how software deals with exceptions.

>From my point of view when I install a piece of software and it breaks
something that's ok -- i understand things happen, but what infuriates me is
when the software says, in effect, "nope can't do it".  Then I have to spend
a week pouring through documentation until usually I give up because I just
can't afford to spend that much time tweaking my system, in what seems to
be, in vain and I just leave that part broken.  It seems to me that the
software should know or at least guess better than me about why it can't run
and could possibly offer some suggestions.  (I realize there is syslog and
log files, which are meant for programmers and sysadmins to decipher and not
for common users). A lot of the time I find software complains that it can
work because of a permission problem, I wish it would just tell me that.  In
this day with most linux users having internet access why not develop an
online problem resolution module that can be plugged into most software
projects so when a problem occurs the software itself can query a trouble
shooting database to help the user out.  Possibly, if embedding this type of
functionality is not possible in the actual software an external tool that
references this database would work.

There is a wealth of information burried in newsgroup and mailing list
archives but it's very hard to extract and very time consuming. If this
knowledge base could be (albeit slowly) uploaded to a trouble shooting
database in about 2 or 3 years there would be a nice repository of info.
Things like bugzilla and it's cousins are nice but a lot of work is put on
the user to know how to find stuff. This is troubling because the software
(i.e. the programmer) knows better than the user, why can't the software
trouble shoot itself?

It would be great if after you installed the lastest distribution of
Mandrake a tool (built-in?) is provided that it would automatically check
Mandrake's errata database and synch your system against it.  Why not?  A
lot of work, but certainly doable.

When the ordinary user community bellyaches that linux is "too hard" the
linux community bellyaches back about how users are dumb and they (the
Lusers) should be more "savvy" about computer things.  My position is if
linux software requires a more savvy user, linux software should coach users
into this state of enlightenment.  There is too much secret knowledge just
about computers in general and even more surrounding linux.  We all don't
have time to become sysadmins and programmers; the time is shortly
approaching when linux should recognize this fact.

(ps: sorry, I guess this turned into a gripe -- but with all the best
intentions and love for Mandrake and Linux, mind you!)