I agree 100%.  I was simply trying to point out that auto-updating
dependencies would create the problems that Window$ has.  To solve a real
problem (incompatible DLLs), Microsoft has opted to go the hardware route --
hard drives are cheap.  Unfortunately, it still doesn't solve the problem,
and unless you use all Windows XP apps you still will be faced with the
problem (but that's probably part of M$ marketing campaing).

Apple OS X and Linux/Unix have approached this problem from a different angle
and is much preferred.

While having to deal with dependencies can be frustrating, at times,
installing a new app doesn't break existing ones (well, unless you use
--force :)).

Joe