Charles A. Punch wrote:

> Tom Brinkman wrote:

>>> What exactly is a journaling file system? What does it mean that it
>>> journals?
>>>

>> http://www.google.com/search?q=journaling+file+system&btnG=Google+Search
>>
>>> Also, with 8.1 around the corner, what does it take to upgrade? If I
>>> were to upgrade 8.1 over my 8.0 system, do most things remain intact?
>>> Do I need to reconfigure everything? Anything to watch out for?
>>>

>>   I never upgrade. I always do fresh installs.
>

> I have never upgraded either. It seems that all the experts on this list
> are against it, but you can also do a fresh install without formatting
> your home partititon. I've only done it that way once and I'm not sure
> what you want to remain intact. I think any apps that you replace will
> have to be reconfigured. The advantage to me, was to keep my data intact.

OS Upgrades are evil, and should be avoided. Even on my large enterprise
servers, when it's time for a new OS, I do fresh installs.
Some things I've done to aid this:

I use seperate filesystems for all major areas of the system. When it's
time to re-install, I can save many of my apps, and my home directories.
Then the install only affects the "system" portions of the disk. A
typical cross section of one of my systems might look like:

/

/usr
        | Systems area.
/var
        | A seperate disk if possible
/tmp            |

/opt
        (where I install apps. Very often an NFS mount)
/usr/local
(for apps specific to a particular box)
/usr/src
(for source code, and kernels)
/home
        (um.. home directries. Normally an NFS mount)
/archive
(just a stash. A place to store "stuff")

- and so on -

When I do an install, the only area(s) that get reformatted are /, /usr,
/var, & /tmp
The rest I leave alone. This has been a very successful approach for me.
Also, by keeping the system on a seperate (small) disk, you will see
some performance improvements, and less loss in the case of a disk failure.

  There is the occational app that might need re-installing, or
rebuilding because of large changes in libs. But as a whole, it works
out very well for me.

        Ric