[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I apologize;  I stand corrected.  I got the following from
> http://linux.com/develop/man/1/su

<snip>

> From this, I take it that it stands for "Substitute User".
>
> (I got "Super User" from a book, and when I remember which one it was, I
> will post its name here)

David,

No need to post the name of the book.  Referring to SU as the "Super
User" seems to be a common thing to do, among users and books.  I
suspect that civileme gave the correct original answer in his post, but
I forget exactly what he said -- was it "Switch UID" (or substitute UID?
-- it was something "uid").

Randy Kramer