Another thing is you might test to see if you have bad memory.  I had the
same symptoms plus constant crashes whenever I ran something bigger than a
terminal windows.  When I ran a thorough memory test I found that I had a
bad stick.  When I removed that stick everything ran much better...

http://www.teresaudio.com/memtest86/