OK.

Tnx Franki for giving me a smack around the ears for trying to put a
monster graphics card in an old machine.

Randy, the main reason is that eventhough I am running 800x600 on a 17"
monitor and can see the whole screen perfectly, the full graphics under
X do not display of the Mandrake Software Manager i.e. the screen
doesn't refresh after closing the 'You have not configured a security
update source yet' box.

I have managed to locally source an 8 Mb SiS PCI card ordered and I
wonder if all SiS cards are Mandrake Linux compatible? I sure as hell
hope that this video card will do the job as opposed to replacing the
motherboard and processor. The postage on overseas mail and the risk of
static on the free card will probably cost more in mail fees than the
card I am getting anyway for R350 ~ $41.

I don't want to take the card that Gary offered as I don't know its
compatibility and don't know if I will upgrade to 8.1 when it is
released.

Thanks all. Now please just tell me that a 8 Mb SiS pci card is
supported under Mandrake 8!