Hello;

  When you installed your Linux did you include the development tools?  When
you download the software I found that you must have a fast and reliable
connection.  Then you need to make sure that you download inst.iso (the
installer) and the ext.iso (the extensions for the development).  Using and
FTP would be your best bet. That may explain some of the problems you are
having.  And with rpm are you trying to install from the command line?  Try
it from the GUI it will give you a list of what you have installed and what
you don't.  It will also tell you what support files you need for that
program.  Try that until you get the hang of the command line.  Hope this
helped a little.  I know how frustrating it can get.  I've had lots of
practice ;-) So keep trying and don't give up.

                          David