Ben Bayer said:
"I think power supply might be another possible culprit.  Installing the K6
eliminated weird x-windows behaviour during boot-up, where the pixels
appeared to scatter a bit, and fonts were fuzzy.  I think the 145 W power
supply may have been marginal for the P200 installed then, operating at 3.3
V.  The K6 works at 2.2 V, and the problem is gone."

Ben:  I think you may be right.  I experienced strange problems when I
upgraded to a K6-2 450.  Most the time it wouln't even boot.  Turned out the
old 250W PS developed  -5V @ .25A.  A new 250W PS  pumped out -5V @ .5A.
The extra 1/4 amp made all the difference and box still works fine.