Hello:

Toda my linux box would act as the internet gateway to the lan.  In the
process, I found out mandrake also installed iptables.  I now understand a
firewall must be installed for masquerading, don't know why, but it has to.
Now, I have been trying to figure out how to use iptables and I am truly
confused.  What in the world is a chain?  I read the man file and the how-to,
but either I am being a bit dense, or the subject matter is difficult.  I
have used firewalls in windows, specifically, conseal, but I am in need of
help.

I found a script called iptables in my etc/init.d directory.  Is this script
suppose to be moved to the etc/sysconfig directory?

I have read from this list, about a program called bastille.  Would bastille
be an easier program to use and would I have to remove iptables before
installing bastille?  If so, how do you go about removing iptables without
affecting your masquerade?

In a way iptables seems to be what I am looking for, which is a firewall
executed from the terminal mode, but I would also like to have the ability of
"seeing" who/what is probing my system.  Does iptables has this ability?
Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Dexter