I installed 8.1 a couple days ago, and it has a major advantage over 7.2
(what I've been using since it came out) - I finally have sound. And, a
nice little bonus, it looks great!

One problem, however, and a rather major one at that. As with every
version released after 7.2, from the 8.0 betas on, I haven't been able to
get online. Now, I have a cable modem, using Optimum Online (Cablevision),
I use DHCP, which always tells me it couldn't find an IP # when I boot
into 8.1. I have a 3com 3c900B-TPO nic card, which uses the 3c59x kernel
module. 8.1 detected it just fine, and uses the correct module, so I know
thats not the problem.

With 7.2, when I installed that (each and every time), it asked me what my
host name is, and what my proxy setting are; both boxes I leave blank, and
it works like a charm, every time. With 8.1, I tried it like that, and I
also tried putting in what I believe is my host name, dyn.optonline.net.
All that accomplished was having my terminal showing a prompt that said

[rog@dyn rog]

I didn't do anything with the proxy settings, as I don't believe I have
any. Oh, and in the past, I figured out my (then) current IP # (it only
changes on me once a week or so), and tried to set my box up like a static
IP, but that didn't work either.

So there you have it. Can anyone help? I really want to get 8.1 happening,
as I have realized how much I miss being able to play my ogg files and
CDs...Any more info needed, just ask - I'm willing to do pretty much
whatever I have to to get it happening this time...

peace,

Rog