[OT]
This is my first letter to this list, so I'd like to write 'Hello' to
all list subscribers.
[OT]

Hello David,

on Thursday, October 04, 2001 at 9:46:19 AM, you wrote in subject of "[newbie] Gnome
1.4 and icons":

DR> Anyway, my problem is desktop icons in Gnome: after installation, they were all
DR> there - internet, control-centre, Mandrake this-and-that, etc. Then they suddenly
DR> disappeared: on logging in, a blank desktop and no reaction from the right mouse
DR> button

  I've got exactly the same problem, but with KDE (I haven't tried
  under another X manager). After upgrading from 8.0 to 8.1 all my
  desktop icons and backgrounds are gone ;-( I've got a red desktop
  for my root account, and a blue for user. Also doesn't work right
  mouse button (and a little icon on taskbar to logoff).

  My hardware:
  Duron 750, Matrox G200 (8MB RAM)display card, 224MB RAM, VIA AC'97
  sound (or sth like this...), A4Tech WWW-7 mouse with scroll.

  So, I'm also waiting for any suggestions...

--
Best regards from Gdansk, Poland,
 Arek