On Thu, 4 Oct 2001 08:46:19 +0100
David Robertson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi everyone
>
> I've just installed LM 8.1 and all was well for 24 hours apart from what I consider
>to be the usual Mandrake network setup nightmare! (Much better in 8.1 - at least it
>is no longer assumed that if you're on a LAN, that's how you want to connect to the
>internet!)
>
> Anyway, my problem is desktop icons in Gnome: after installation, they were all
>there - internet, control-centre, Mandrake this-and-that, etc. Then they suddenly
>disappeared: on logging in, a blank desktop and no reaction from the right mouse
>button. This has happened before, with LM 8.0 and Ximian gnome, but LM doesn't have a
>"doorman-reset" facility as in Ximian, so just what has gone wrong and how can I fix
>it? I'm running a laptop with a S3 Savage/MX display chip, Aureal Vortex au8810
>sound, Pentium 700, 128MB RAM and in general Linux runs fine, tho' I need a separate
>sound driver. (Sound is fine in Gnome but nothing in KDE).
>
> I've tried reconfiguring XFree 4.1 but to no avail. Any suggestions?

I am guessing that you had been using Nautilus and that it was drawing
your desktop.
At some point you must have exited the program or set it to Not draw and
manage the destop.
To correct this launch Nautilus, if your Icons reappear nothing else need
be done.
If not, select the Advance Setup buttom and then choose to have it draw
your desktop.

If you choose to use GMC it will also draw the desktop and create icons
but be forwarned, there is a Gonome problem with GMC/Nautilus where other
than the drive icons, all icons create by GMC wiil not properly function.
This problem exist when 8.1 is done as a Clean install.
It is not present if you do an upgrade install.

   Charles  (-: