On Fri, 19 Oct 2001 17:28:42 -0400 (EDT), Roger Sherman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> > > I don't think there's meant to be a space between the "S" and the number.
> > > Here's what I use:
> > >
> > >   hdparm -c1d1S242 /dev/hda
> > >
> > > You can ignore the "c1d1" here. Notice, however, the "S242" (242 = 1 hour)
> > > on the end of the tag.
> > >
> > > Also, there may be background processes that still require the filesystem.
> > > I don't think 30 seconds would be long enough for everything to settle
> > > down. Try setting the interval to a few minutes, and then try it when
> > > there's nothing else(including X) running.
> > >
> > > Another thing to consider is your filesystem. If you use ReiserFS, the FS
> > > is polled every five minutes. This makes spindowns unlikely to work for
> > > drives with mounted ReiserFS partitions. Ext2, swap and FAT are fine in
> > > this regard. I don't know about the other journalling FSs.
> >
> > Hmm...OK, I tried taking out the space, but the same thing happened, ie
> > the output told me the same thing, so I think it works with the space too.
> >
> > But, it still didn't work...and I do use ReiserFS. Guess it's time to kick
> > this one up to the expert list, eh?
> >
> > Thanks for your help, Sridhar...
> >

> Sridhar, someone just sent me a note suggesting that my thanks to you was
> less than sincere...hope you didn't take it that way, since without you I
> wouldn't even have known about hdparm. Thanks again!

Less than sincere? No, I didn't take it that way at all. Don't worry about it :)

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan

"Anyone who says you can have a lot of widely dispersed people hack away on a
complicated piece of code and avoid total anarchy has never managed a software
project." -- Andrew S. Tanenbaum, 1992, writing to Linus Torvalds.