Dear All,

I wrote about this a couple of days ago but did not get any responses. To my
dismay I discovered that I have a Compaq 56 K V90 HCF miniPCI internal modem
14F1:1815 Conexant chip. I, also, have a Compaq 10_100MiniPCI ethernet NIC
card that also has the conexant chip. When I ordered this laptop I asked
specifically to give me a real modem and ethernet and not a winmodem but I do
not think they knew what I was talking about. I have done alot of research
and downloaded the software that might make this modem work according to the
linmodem page. I use Juno for my internet provider on my laptop with WIN98.
My laptop is a win98/LM8 dualboot. I have not installed the new software yet.
I am wondering if my modem will work if I get Kppp setup correctly. I tried
to setup kppp last night and I got a message that the modem is busy which
surprised me.

In console I typed <ls -a /lib/modules/2.4.3-20mdk/> and I see among other
files <build@ > flashing and highlighted in red. What would this mean? I
found my Juno files which have my username and password. If I put those into
kppp would that make a difference also? Using a dial-up modem is new to me
since I only have used ethernet cable on my desktop PC with Linux. That seems
to be easier to setup from what I can tell. I have heard about using minicom
to see if one's modem is working, too. How would I check on this modem to see
that it is working? Thanks for any help and suggestions.

Sincerely,

Marcia