On Tuesday 23 October 2001 02:10 am, you wrote:
> I too was in the same boat as you about a month and a half ago. I
> had Sound Blaster internal PCI modem. I tried the software and the
> settings. It was just easier to sell the card and pick up an
> external hardware modem. Linux used it without a hitch and life got
> interesting in surfing the web through Linux's eyes.
>
> The cost is about twice then a internal. Mine is a Hayes advertised
> to work under Windows and Linux. Ran about $75.00 and well worth
> the all the headaches. I don't mean to discourage you from doing it
> otherwise I just wish to spare you the trouble, especially if you
> completely new to Linux like myself.

I'd have to agree. I use a Modem Blaster External on my Linux box
and it has worked great so far.

One thing that should be stressed here is that you should get one
that uses a standard DB-9 serial connection. Most of these are
hardware controller based. Do *NOT* get a USB external modem.
If you must have an internal modem, you might be better off with ISA,
because today's PCI modems are mostly of the winmodem variety.

I personally see very little need for PCI modems anyways, other than
Intel's push to kill ISA. You are simply not moving enough data to
justify a bus witdh greater than 16 bits.

- John