I too was in the same boat as you about a month and a half ago. I had Sound
Blaster internal PCI modem. I tried the software and the settings. It was
just easier to sell the card and pick up an external hardware modem. Linux
used it without a hitch and life got interesting in surfing the web through
Linux's eyes.

The cost is about twice then a internal. Mine is a Hayes advertised to work
under Windows and Linux. Ran about $75.00 and well worth the all the
headaches. I don't mean to discourage you from doing it otherwise I just wish
to spare you the trouble, especially if you completely new to Linux like
myself.

Good luck.