Yes, good question. I have no idea either. It's been there I believe since
8.0, and you can delete it, but it just comes straight back with the next
boot. It's also part of the filesystem-2.0.7-2md (LM 8.0) package.

Could someone explain this please?

Also, why in mandrake do users all have a tmp folder in their home
directory? What is the advantage of this, and if none, how can I get rid of
it?

Many thanks

Ralph

--