On Sat, 27 Oct 2001 11:53:15 -0500, Dennis Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Darn, this was supposed to go to the list, I was not watching.
>
> Subject: Re: [newbie] See what MSN.com has done?
> Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2001 10:36:36 -0500
> From: Dennis Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> On Saturday 27 October 2001 01:58 am, you wrote:
> > RE:
> >
> > http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,5098823,00.html?chkpt=zdnnp1t
> >p02
> >
> > "Visse said earlier Thursday that the message would be shown to
> > people using "browsers that we know don't support (W3C) standards or
> > that we can't insure will get a great experience for the customer."
> > W3C refers to the World Wide Web Consortium, which is developing
> > industry standards for Web technologies."
> >
> > "Microsoft admitted that its technology was watching for Opera
> > strings--but only because the company wanted to encourage people to
> > use standard-compliant browsers."
> >
> > ----
> >
> > Read: THEIR standards.
> >
> > This is complete crap. Almost all of the browsers they blocked
> > out support enough HTML 4.0 to make the site perfectly viewable. I
> > find it hard to believe that MS even cares about W3C standards as
> > there are a lot of proprietary HTML tags supported only by MSIE.
> >
> > I'm not even sure there is a browser around anymore that supports
> > pure W3C standards.
> >
> > Talk about smokescreen.
> >
> > - John
>
> You are right. What hogwash, now that they have opened it up to browsers that
> may not render it correctly and optimize our "experience"  ,  Konqueror will
> pull it up and show it perfectly, well as perfect as microcrap can be shown.

Has anybody tried running www.msn.com through the W3C HTML validator
(http://validator.w3.org/check/?uri=http%3A//www.msn.com)? Here is the first
line of its findings:

  "Fatal Error: no document type declaration; will parse without validation"

I tried to manually set a Doctype using the pull-down menu on the Validator
site, but none of them were able to make the page validate as
standards-compliant. How typical of Micro$haft.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan

                Without C, We would only have Pasal, Basi, and obol.