On Saturday 27 October 2001 10:28 am, you wrote:
> From:         [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> >Read: THEIR standards.
>
> Specifically, their use of VBScript, I believe. IE supports it;
> other browsers don't (or don't support it well). So when they start
> getting around to using VBScript to dynamically write the HTML part
> of the page, other browsers (probably) won't render it as well as
> IE will.

VBScript runs just as well as Pearl-based (or anything similar) CGI
would. Ideally, when using VBScript, you would run the code as an
Active Server Page (ASP). I've gone to ASP based sites in Netscape
and Mozilla, and they've always displayed fine. Running scripting
languages client-side is generally not the prefered option for
ANYthing. (includng JS).

In any event, the MSN site looks fine in Mozilla, although the fonts
are kinda junky (really the fault of the OS fonts and not the
browser).

> >Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it's my understanding that
> >Opera and Mozilla were designed *specifically* to be as closely
> >as possible in compliance with W3C standards -- unlike IE.
>
> IE is very standards compliant, actually. The earlier versions
> weren't. But yes, Opera & Mozilla are also very standards
> compliant.

Almost all browsers that I know of adhere "enough" to
the W3C standards. Almost any site that at least pays
some lip service to the W3C should display fine in
MSIE.  There are exceptions like the site that Saidhar
posted (ironically Opera won't display it, while IE for
the Mac will).

Many of the MSIE-only and Netscape-only tags came about
when Netscape and MS were trying to show up each other.
Those were the dark ages. Mozilla has chosen to strip out a lot of
the Netscape-only tags, while MS has apparently chosen to
retain theirs (though I don't know how much of it is still in use).

What I resent is MS's claim that they have the only browser
that supports W3C tags. Anything on MSN.com that
won't display properly is more likely a result of theiir own
proprietary tags nested directly on the page.

But again, the page works fine....I would say that this is just
b*llsh*t designed to get people to download IE 6.

- John