On Sunday 28 October 2001 11:50, Søren Neigaard wrote:
> On Sun, 2001-10-28 at 12:21, Derek Jennings wrote:
> > Yep
> > Select Define sources > New
> > Select Type of Source > Security Updates
> > Update the list of mirrors. Pick one near you Click OK
> > It takes quite a long time to get the list of all the packages on the
> > mirror.
> >
> > Now any package you have installed for which an update is available will
> > show up in bold in the search list.
>
> Ok - Even thoug I set type to Security Updates, it still gives me all
> other updates too? Or do I need to set up some mirrors manually?

Any update on that site is available to you. I am not aware of mirrors that
carry security updates but not bug fixes. Seems to work for me so far :-)

Note that Mandrake do not release new versions of packages unless there is a
problem with the old ones. So for example there will be a new kernel next
week to fix the supermount problem in 8.1 (DO NOT use upgrade on a kernel.
There will be special instructions on how to do the kernel upgrade)
As new versions of packages evolve they go onto cooker first for people to
experiment with, and then when they are validated as good, they will be
merged into 8.2

If you simply want the latest and greatest of packages, then you could add
individual ftp sites or play with cooker.

> What about my CD-ROM sources, can I delete them, and wouldn't that be a
> good idea, so I always update from the net?

No.
If the CD has the latest version, then it is quickest to update from CD. Only
if the net has a newer version will you update on line.