From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Admin
Sent: Monday, 29 October 2001 10:06 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [newbie] Pine/Postfix/Sendmail

Hello:

Thanks for the advice regarding the installation of Pine in my system.  I
have the program up and running at the moment, but with a couple of quirks,
which I would like to discuss.

1.  I am running pine 4.30 under lm8.0, using a PIII 800mhz chip with
384megs
of RAM.

2.  Is there some kind of relationship between postfix and sendmail?  For
some reason, both programs/scripts are installed in my system.  As it is, I
thought I was only using postfix and I was gettting ready to remove
sendmail,
but shied away when there were several references to postfix in "man
sendmail".  So do I need to keep sendmail or can I remove it?

3.  Currently, I am executing the following commands:

      fetchmail  (from user)
      postfix start (from root)
      pine (from user)

Is the sequence correct, or for that matter, does the sequence matter?

4.  Now the really squirely part.  The return address on emails I send out,
is really, really messed up.  How can I fix it?  It should read
"[EMAIL PROTECTED]"  instead it reads "dsimon9@localhost
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>".  The casa-coqui.com domain is parked at earthlink,
and I am using an alias at their web site to re-direct emails to
[EMAIL PROTECTED] to [EMAIL PROTECTED]  To make matters a bit more
interesting, the only way I can get emails to be delivered properly to Pine
is by  setting "personal-name" in its' config file to "dsimon9@localhost".

I was looking through the "main.cf" file, and there are a couple of settings
(myhostname and mydomain), which might address the issue, but these are
universal settings (or so I think).  If these are the proper settings, to
what value should they be set?

In my user's ".fetchmailrc file", I have the setting "set postmaster
"dsimon9"".

Thanks in advance for the help.

Dexter