i have an older (april 2001) review here of a matrox g200-mms vga card, which
allows 4 video heads on a single card and up to 4 cards.  a little math says
16 monitors.

the review says they ran 4 screens first as a single giant desktop,
2048x1536, then as 4 different desktops, 1-4, each at a different resolution.
 they did not mention running multiple xwindows, but it seems that would be
no big deal.  perhaps i am wrong and actually displaying one kde and one
gnome at the same time is not possible, but it seems it should be.

the bad news?  699.95 us for a single card with 4 video out, and closed
source code for the 'driver'.

On Wednesday 31 October 2001 12:07, you spoke unto me thusly:

--
Remember, to a tree being useful is a terminal illness.

shane
registered linux user #101606 @ http://counter.li.org/
http://www.mystic-light.net/personal/
Proud to be a DMOZ editor since 10-98