Bill,

These are rather terse answers because I can't tell you at this time
exactly how to do these things.  I put this under the category of "any
help" and only responded because, AFAICT, no one else has responded so
far.

William R. Nash wrote:
> 1.  Is there a way i can use JAVA with kongueror with mandrake 8.1.  I
> believe i install java on the computer.

Yes.  I believe you will have to download a Java something (program) and
then install it in konqueror, maybe via a plugin.  I can't think of the
correct name for the Java program, but I think of it as the Java
interpreter.  Several varieties are available, including one from IBM.
If you search the archives, you will find posts that mention the
varieties and make recommendations as to the best.

> 2.  How can i set up the network section under kongueror.  I have 3
> linux machine running on 200 mhz computer and 1 500 mhz computer
> running windows xp.  I would like to be able to conect to all
> machine via network.  now what i have been doing to ftp program from
> computer to computer.  this is what i have setup.
>
> 1 computer running linux mandrake 8.1.  firewall ftp and webpage
> email. internet gateway.
> 1 computer linux mandrake 8.1 been testing red hat 7.2 test machine
> 1 computer linux mandrake 8.1 wife computer
> 1 windows xp due to some software that will not run under linux.

Almost certainly yes.  The only reason for my uncertainty is that I've
heard vague things about limitations in XP about what they allow you to
network with -- I vaguely have the impression that all computers
networked with an XP computer have to be running XP, but, assuming and
hoping that information is incorrect, what you want is Samba which is a
Linux equivalent of the Microsoft smb protocol and networking software.
You will be able to share files and printers, and the Windows box will
be able to find them in Network Neighborhood just like it would if it
was networked to other Windows computers.  (And, of course, the Linux
box can use access files and printers on the Windows box.)

I've done a little bit with Samba, I've experimented with smbclient and
mounting a windows drive  in a Linux box by setting up fstab
appropriately.  (All this stuff was from several installs ago, so I
can't send you a current fstab or smbclient command or configuration.)

If you want your Linux boxes to see stuff on the Windows box, all you
need is smbclient or modifications to fstab.  If you want the Windows
box to see stuff on the Linux boxes, AFAIK, a Samba server must be set
up on each Linux box.

When I attempted all of this, I found instructions that seemed rather
simple for the smbclient and fstab stuff, the Samba server seemed to
require a lot more reading.  (It might be simple enough, I just haven't
tried to wade through it.)

Actually, I've just moved some pages from by private TWiki to WikiLearn
hopefully to help:  (These are TWiki pages, so if you find errors or can
make them better you can register and edit the pages -- see
http://twiki.org/cgi-bin/view/Wikilearn/AboutThesePages.)  (I do not
consider the pages "finished" -- I moved them to WikiLearn just now in
order to possibly provide some help to you.)

http://twiki.org/cgi-bin/view/Wikilearn/Samba
http://twiki.org/cgi-bin/view/Wikilearn/InstallingSambaBeginner
http://twiki.org/cgi-bin/view/Wikilearn/SambaResources
http://twiki.org/cgi-bin/view/Wikilearn/fstabFile