On Thursday 01 November 2001 08:47 am, you wrote:
> I don't know, and don't know much about FireWire, USB, and USB2, but I
> get the feeling that (1) FireWire will always be more expensive than
> USB(2), and FireWire will be obsolete before USB(2).  Is there something
> that is driving you to use FireWire instead of USB?  I would look
> carefully at USB(2) before confirming a decision to use FireWire.

We are looking at FireWire for compatibility purposes between Mac and PC.
Also because it was designed for high-bandwidth peripherals such as digital
video equipement, and DVD writing capability, which is something that is
relatively common here.  USB 2.0 is faster than FireWire currently, but USB
and FireWire were designed to compliment one another, not replace one or the
other.  FireWire can support up to 3200kB/sec (if memory serves me
correctly), which even USB 2.0 can't come close to.

> I used to work for a large company that always used the high price
> spread -- mainframes were always IBM, never an IBM compatible; chose
> TokenRing ~10 years ago instead of Ethernet; etc.  While those decisions
> are not the total or primary reason, they are now in chapter 11.
>
> Randy Kramer

Being a state university, we don't have the luxury of getting the high price
ticket items, but do get what we can, taking into consideration student
request.  Hopefully we won't be going into Chapter 11 anytime soon! :)
--
Terry Sheltra
PC Technician/Network Administrator