After quite a bit of fiddling around, I have very successfully gotten
mplayer to work like a charm :-) There are others too, but this one works
the smoothest here. The others I have tried are Xine (Works, but hung quite
often) and Ogle (also good... no real problems here, except that the screen
jerks now and then a bit).