david, thx again for your suggestion.  :)

i installed staroffice (under root) with the /net switch.  when i logged
out of root and logged back in under a normal user and tried running s.o.
from the home directory, the same message (as before) was displayed.
however, this time when i proceeded, it asked me if i wanted to do a
"workstation install" (1mb) or "local install" (256mb).  am i correct in
assuming that the "workstation install" is what i should select when each
user wants to run his/her own s.o.?

thx.