Michael D. viron,
Thanks a lot for your help.
Tuan

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] On Behalf Of Michael D. Viron
Sent: Sunday, November 04, 2001 9:21 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [newbie] Postfix mail server question.

At 08:34 AM 11/04/2001 -0800, you wrote:
>Hi,
>I have a Domain and a static IP. I also so setup my Web server runs
>behind a router which support NAT function. I open port 80 for WEB and
>think I have to open 2 more ports which are #25 and #110 for mail
>server, is that right?

No, you actually only need to open port 25, unless you plan to access
your
e-mail via pop3 from outside your local network.

 How can I setup Postfix to listen those 2 ports
>(for sending and receiving mails)?

Postfix only needs port 25 (which is SMTP) -- port 110 is pop3, which is
totally separate piece of software and a different protocol.  Postfix is
'mail transport agent' (MTA), and handles transporting e-mail from the
source address to the destination address.

If I setup an account on Postfix,
>i.e. [EMAIL PROTECTED] , do I have to add user name "ME" on my server
>computer?
user name ME has to either be added as a normal user or must be an alias
in
/etc/postfix/aliases .

>To use client mail program like Outlook to  send and receive mail via
my
>mail server, what do I need to setup on Postfix and what program I need
>run at startup (i.e. POP3 IMAP.....!!??).

For postfix, you need to configure it to allow access from whatever
client
machine you are using so that you can send e-mail through it from your
mail
user agent (MUA) such as Outlook, Eudora, etc.  As for receiving e-mail,
you don't have to do anything.

To have a fully functional mail server, you need to be running postfix
(or
sendmail) and either imap or pop3 or both.

Do I need to tell Postfix
>which ports to listen to or by default it will listen on ports #25 and
>#110?

No -- by default Postfix listens only to port 25 (SMTP) -- it doesn't
listen to port 110, which is a totally different protocol (which is
handled
by a different piece of software.