There's something else you're going to want to look for, or your
webadmin will NOT allow you access to
the interface.

As ROOT, edit the file /etc/webmin/miniserv.conf

I believe it's line 11, that by default reads:

ssl=1

Unless you have ssl configured and the cert created, you will not be
able to gain access to the webmin.
If you change that line to read:

ssl=0

You will be able to get by using http://hostname:10000.

Once you've gotten that far, keep in mind that webmin will ONLY recogize
the root user, and the root
passwd specified at install.  If you have since changed the root passwd,
the new passwd will not work.
So I hope you either remember the original root passwd, or haven't
changed it.

As far as ssh goes.  Stick with it!  It's more secure then telnet unless
you're using another kind of
telnet.  I know FreeBSD comes with a secure telnet that uses SRA secure
login.